Monday, September 27, 2010

New School, New Kid

It was my first time to an international school. I didn't understand nor speak any English, only Danish. As the bus dove up to the entrance of the school, the big, bold letters that read: "American School of the Hague" haunted me as I made my tremulous trek towards the big gates to enter the school. I could not find my class that I was supposed to be in, the only noise was the heave breathing from me reverberating through the halls. I surmised that it must be the first door to the left because it was the only classroom where there was noise coming from it. I slowly opened the door and all of a sudden, about 20 heads turned towards me as I entered. There was an evil grimace on her face that made her look like a serial killer. She opened her fat mouth to speak, but all that came out of there was: blah blah blah. I quickly exited the room because the teacher was basically bouncing towards me and it made her look like she was about to eat me. I ran quickly to the other door and as I opened it, a fresh breeze of a good smell were releases into my nostrils and the teacher had a much more welcoming smile, She was much more affable and so were the students. I spoke to her in Danish and she made a face that made me look stupid but then to my surprise, a reply was fired back at me in Danish as well.

A small boy made his way up to me and held out his hand, I shook it with caution. The teacher told him something in a weird language and then he showed me my seat which was fortunately next to him. Although there was someone that could speak Danish, I was shy and didn't talk to anyone else for half a year because I couldn't understand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment